Benefits of the LGPS
The LGPS is a statutory, funded pension scheme and the benefits of the scheme are defined and set out in law.
Under the LGPS regulations effective from 1 April 2014, to be entitled to retirement benefits you have to meet the 2 years' vesting period in the scheme. Some of the main benefits of the scheme are:
- A guaranteed, inflation-proofed pension based on your pay in each year that you pay into the scheme
- An option to exchange some of your annual pension for a tax free lump sum amount
- The ability to increase your pension by paying extra contributions
- Redundancy cover from age 55
- A death in service lump sum of three times pensionable pay.
- Protection for your family in the form of survivors’ pensions for widows, widowers, eligible co-habiting partners, civil partners and dependant children
- An ill health pension from any age
In addition, as a member of the LGPS, your contributions will attract tax relief at the time they are deducted from your pay.
Full details of the pension scheme can be found in the Guides to the Local Government Pension Scheme.