You are here:   
Beds Pension Fund > Pensioners > Help with pension problems

Help with pension problems

If you have a question about anything to do with your membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), please contact Bedfordshire Pension Fund and a member of the team will be happy to help you.


Your employer and Bedfordshire Pension Fund are responsible for making decisions about your LGPS benefits and membership.  If you are unhappy about a decision that’s been made or think there has been a mistake, please get in touch with the pension fund as soon as possible so that we can try and resolve the matter for you quickly.  We would like to discuss the problem with you before you consider making a formal complaint, to see if the problem can be resolved with the minimum inconvenience to you.


When you consider whether or not to make a complaint, remember that the benefits payable under the LGPS are defined by law (Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations 2013).


Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP)

If you have not been able to resolve your complaint informally, you have the right to make a formal complaint under the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP).  A full guide to the process and application forms are available below.  In brief, the procedure has 2 stages:


Stage 1: You will need to complete a Stage 1 application form, setting out details of your complaint, and send it to Bedfordshire Pension Fund within six months of the date you were notified of the decision you are complaining about.  Depending on who made the original decision, your application will be directed to either your employer or Bedfordshire Pension Fund’s administering authority, Bedford Borough Council.  A nominated person, known as an adjudicator, who was not involved in making the original decision, will review your case and decide whether or not they uphold your complaint.


Stage 2: If you are not satisfied with the decision of the stage 1 adjudicator, you can appeal under stage 2 to Bedford Borough Council, as the pension fund’s administering authority.  You will need to complete a Stage 2 application form.  The Stage 2 application must be made within 6 months of the Stage 1 decision. Under Stage 2, an independent person, who has not previously been involved in your case, will review the decision made at Stage 1.


IDRP guide and application forms (Word 550KB)



More information is also available from the following organisations:



For impartial help that's backed by government and free to use, contact MoneyHelper.

Pensions helpline: 0800 011 3797       Website:


The Pensions Ombudsman

If you have a complaint or dispute with your pension provider about your pension you can contact The Pensions Ombudsman:

Tel: 0800 917 4487           Website:

The Ombudman's website has some useful factsheets on common topics and how the Ombudman looks at complaints.